(via validcriticism)Source: afterberlin
New research has shown that muesli-style foods can be dangerous for rabbits’ health and wellbeing and should not be fed If you currently feed a muesli-type food you should gradually transfer your pets onto a hay and nugget/pellet based feeding plan over a period of between 14-28 days, by gradually reducing the amount of muesli and increasing the proportion of nuggets until they have completely replaced the mix. Remember that good quality hay and/or grass should make up the majority of your rabbit’s diet and should be available at all times. Please talk to your vet for more information.
Why are muesli-style foods potentially so dangerous?
Recent research* conducted by the University of Edinburgh has shown that feeding muesli, with or without hay, is associated with abnormalities that can lead to painful dental and digestive problems that require veterinary treatment, like
- Lower Gut motility, which can put rabbits at a high risk of gut stasis, a condition which is often fatal
- Eating less hay, which can lead to abnormal growth of teeth that could develop into painful dental disease. Lower hay consumption also results in reduction in water intake, which in turn can lead to urinary tract stones or sludge.
- Not eating all their caecotrophs, meaning they may not get all the nutrition they need and uneaten caecotrophs may become matted in rabbits’ fur, putting them at risk of dermatitis and fly strike
- Selective feeding (where rabbits pick out their favourite pieces rather than eating the whole portion), which can lead to an imbalanced diet lacking in vital vitamins and minerals.
- The research has also shown that eating muesli-style foods without hay causes rabbits to become overweight or obese, which can also lead to health problems.
(via aherdofangryhippies)Source: ravens-world
hi guys! this is a comic i made for a final in my comics in literature class. we had to do a research paper on a topic we’d discussed in class and then accompany it with a comic with a relevant subject. my paper was about hyper-sexualization of women in comic books, but i decided to broaden it out here as well as personalize it and make myself the subject and discuss something i’ve been subjected to in the convention circuit and on the internet as well as thousands of other women, as well as give a cue to thought about how the comic book industry as well as the video game industry and even just media in general (all of which are male dominated) push such ridiculous pressures onto girls and women.
also, it feels kind of silly to have to add this since i hope it’s obvious, but i am very aware that there are men that don’t subscribe to this attitude, and am incredibly grateful that these issues are brought to light to people other than the ones that are subjected to it.
anyway haha i have literally been staring at this for 9 hours i don’t even know which direction is up anymore. thanks for reading!!!
wow this gave me the worst kind of goosebumps :(
gosh this hurt my heart a little
When a group of dog rescuers arrived at the market to show the dogs available for adoption, somebody had left 12 puppies on the street – 8 of them were approximately 5 weeks old.
In shock, the rescuers didn’t know what to do. The group had recently canceled several adoption days at the market because of bad weather, so they were over their capacity with puppies still needing to be adopted out. Also, the abandoned puppies were so small that they needed to be fed every two hours, including at night.
That’s when a spayed stray dog approached, lay down beside the shoe box where the puppies were sleeping, and began caring for them.
She wouldn’t let anyone get near the babies.
Very carefully, the rescuers placed the puppies closer to her.
She began caressing them and offering the warmth of her belly to the newborns.
The maternal instinct kicked in and…
after a few hours, she had milk and was feeding the puppies.
The rescue group named her Vida, which means “life” in Portuguese.
I’m not crying, really…I just have a puppy in my eye…
animals are the best
anyone who thinks that animal life is worth less than a human life needs to rethink their life choice
omfg that is the best dog everoh wow